Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Service Planning Working Group (ATSISPWG)
What is the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Service Planning Working Group?
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Service Planning Working Group (ATSISPWG) is a specialist sub-forum of the Queensland Legal Assistance Forum (QLAF).
The purpose of the working group is to promote cooperation and collaboration between legal assistance service providers and non-legal services, including social, community and health services working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The ATSISPWG considers service planning and best practice in service delivery to maximise the reach of legal assistance services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Queensland.
Who participates in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Service Planning Working Group?
The ATSISWPG may include representatives nominated by QLAF members who respond to the legal needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including non-legal services.
Individual members of peak representative bodies who are nominated to join the working group will represent the views of the peak on a strategic basis.
Current membership is comprised of representatives from:
Specialists or experts may be invited to attend and members can nominate proxies to attend on their behalf.
Terms of Reference
- Promote cooperation and collaboration within legal assistance service providers and other non-legal services working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Develop a work plan to address Collaborative Service Planning Initiatives for 2015-2018 including:
- Consider existing service provision, including outreach, and best practice in service design to inform:
- strategies to deliver client-focused services; and
- sector feedback to the Queensland Government on the allocation of any additional funding that becomes available for this priority client group, including proposing and/or sponsoring applications for project funding
- Consider, develop and promote best practice strategies across legal assistance services for the delivery of legal and related services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including the areas of:
- service provision to communities in rural, regional and remote communities, and
- legal assistance services are accessible and endeavour to provide culturally appropriate services.
- Lead discussions around systemic change and advocacy between legal assistance service providers working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Identify, progress and implement priority initiatives and maintain flexibility to address new initiatives as these are identified.
- Share information and resources to facilitate the implementation of agreed priority initiatives.
- Advise the QLAF on issues relevant to the provision of legal services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- The working group will meet at least four times a year. The CEO, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Legal Service, is the Chair and secretariat support is provided by the QLAF Project Officer. Information about meetings, including agendas, will be distributed at least one week in advance where possible.
- The working group will provide updates to the QLAF at least four times per year. Decisions will be on the basis on consensus among members. Members may choose to record dissenting views.
⇐ Back to Specialist Forums
Who participates in this group?
Terms of Reference